Cosmetology Course Outline
Description: This 1620 hour course prepares students for the skills necessary to pass the Washington State Board written and practical examination necessary for licensing, and the competency to obtain an entry level position in the Cosmetology field. Each student must purchase a kit $500.00, this will include all tools necessary for your training and become the property of the student. The tools are of a quality that students may take them for use in the professional field upon graduation.
Hours: Students choose Morning or Afternoon Classes and will need to commit to a 3 hour block the first year and a 5 hour block the second year. Students must also attend summer school between the first and second year to have hours enough to complete the course in a two year time frame. Students who graduate high school and have not completed their program hours must enroll through Peninsula College and pay for their remaining hours. Students may choose between:
- 1st Year Students (3 hour block class)
- 10:00am - 1:00pm or 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Summer (attend 180 hours)
- 2nd Year Students (5 hour block class)
- 9:00am - 2:00pm or 1:00pm - 6:00pm
- Theory of the practice of cosmetology, barbering, manicuring and esthetics services.
- Manicuring/Pedicuring services.
- Esthetics services, including facials, waxing & makeup application.
- Shampooing/Scalp & Hair analysis, including draping, brushing, scalp manipulation, conditioning and rinsing.
- Hair Cutting and trimming, including use of scissors, razor thinning shears and clippers.
- Hair Styling, including wet, dry and thermal styling, braiding and the use of styling aids.
- Facial Hair, including beard and mustache cutting, trimming, design and eyebrow, ear and nose hair trimming.
- Artificial Hair, to include extensions and wig fitting & care.
- Permanent Waving/Texture services, to include sectioning, wrapping, preperm test curl, solution application, processing test curl and neutralizing.
- Chemical relaxing, including sectioning, strand test and relaxer applications.
- Hair coloring/lightening, including predisposition test and strand test, and measurement, mixing, application and removal of chemicals.
- Disinfection of individual work stations, individual equipment and tools and proper use and storage of linens and supplies.
- Diseases & disorders of the scalp, hair, skin and nails.
- Safety, including proper use and storage of chemicals, implements and electrical appliances.
- First aid as it relates to cosmetology, barbering, manicuring and esthetics.
- Business Management & Communication, skills necessary to own or work in a salon, retail sales, client relations, advertising and employee/employer communication skills.
no more than 25% of skills training using mannequins